The Object Relations Institute or Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis is a non-profit NY State Chartered Educational Institute, which was founded in 1991. Our training programs include a few programs for matriculated students who are enrolled in psychoanalytic & psychotherapeutic tracks, while there are various introductory courses offered for new mental health practitioners and interested public, and also courses for experienced clinicians of any school of psychoanalytic thought who wish to enhance their practice by application of the Object Relations theory.
The Object Relations Institute offers certificate programs in psychoanalytic psychotherapy and psychoanalysis with a special curriculum featuring the teaching of the British and American Object Relations theorists and their clinical applications. The curriculum stresses preoedipal stage psychopathology contributing to character disorders, and modifications and elaborations in Freudian theory and technique made by object relations theorists. Object relations theorists have contributed to deepening our understanding of psychical structures and offer us techniques for dealing with clients who were thought to be unreachable.
This unique curriculum conducted in small group and class settings provides the candidate with the whole experiential dimension of learning related to the processing of “objective countertransference” feelings, associations, and visceral experiences. These issues are seen as the key to understanding the split off and dissociated aspects of the psychotherapy or psychoanalytic patient, as the clinician sits in the room with him or her. This experiential study takes place in supervision groups, which highlight the group process as a medium for the learning personal development process. In-depth communication between candidates in each class is encouraged in relation to their internal processing of their clinical work.
All our certificate programs are offered in the virtual (with minimal technical requirements) and in-person format.
- One Year Certificate Program: Introduction to the Object Relations Theory & Clinical Technique
- Two Year Object Relations Evening Program: Advance Studies in Object Relations Theory & Clinical Technique
- One Year Object Relations Day Program for Practicing Clinicians & for New Graduates of the Training Institutes.
- Four Year Full Certificate Training Program in Object Relations Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy & Object Relations Psychoanalysis
- Current Concepts in Object Relations Theory on Psychic Change and Clinical Process — Virtual program; offered in 2015–2016 academic year only via review of the videotaped classes from previous academic years, reading all the required materials, and working with the instructor on individual basis.
- One Year Clinical Mentorship Program for Psychotherapists & Psychoanalysts — This program is designed on individual or small group basis.
- Parent-Child Development Program — At present, it is offered on the basis of clinical mentorship, on individual and group basis (since 2012–2013).
- Neuropsychoanalysis Program — At present, it is offered on the basis of clinical mentorship, on individual and group basis (since 2014–2015).
- Exploring The Power Of Global Cultural Artifacts: Tools For Personal And Professional Development (since 2014–2015).
For all APPLICATIONS — click HERE
For more information, please contact ORI Administrator, Dr. Inna Rozentsvit, by email @